Leafing through this book we came across the following list for ‘Organizing your group’. Just the headings are listed here but they offer a helpful blueprint. The book itself is well worth reading. Diana Leafe Christian will be the keynote speaker at the UK Cohousing Network AGM 18 May at the Threshold Centre.
ORGANIZING YOUR GROUP (chapter 3)
- Decide how often you’ll meet
- Choose a decision-making method; decide how you will run meetings
- Decide on some general principles for your community (location, lifestyle, financial set up)
- Choose a preliminary financial model
- Work out a preliminary timeline
- Create a decision log
- Agree on criteria for group membership
- Identify your vision and create your vision documents – one of your first major tasks as a group
- Keep accurate financial records
- Begin writing community policies and agreements
- Help each other stay accountable
- Establish guidelines for group process
- Identify goals, record and celebrate your progress
Here is another handy checklist for Selecting people to join you on page 220
WHO DOES WELL IN COMMUNITY?
- Someone who doesn’t ‘need’ it.
- Someone with a healthy sense of self
- Someone who is open to and able to hear other points of view
- Someone with a sense of connectedness to people and an interest in the well-being of others
- Someone willing to abide by group agreements
- Someone willing to speak up
- Someone willing to be quiet and listen